Stand With Ukraine

Friday, November 6, 2015

Wifi connection from a command line (OpenSuse 13.2)

My 10 month SSD with Fedora stopped working recently and I had to put back in an old HDD with OpenSuse on it. Since it was awhile since I've last used it, I decided to update all the packages with zypper... So it went and upgraded the kernel... But that broke my nvidia drivers and I've ended up in the command line. That would be OK, if I could use the internet to get the driver and compile it for the upgraded kernel (to lazy to use usb). At this point, I've decided that time has come to eventually learn how to manage my wireless using command line tools. After some poking and googling I've found the utility called 'nmcli' (luckily it was already installed). And the command seemed pretty simple:
nmcli d wifi connect [ssid] password '[pass]'
But that, of course, did not want to work giving me the error messages like:
Error: Connection activation failed: (7) Secrets were required, but not provided.
And for some reason I've decided to do
killall wpa_supplicant
And after this the nmcli command above worked and I am online again. And I did not have to redo anything after reboot, which is very nice... I am not sure if 'killall wpa_supplicant' was required for a good reason or just because I was launching it following other tutorials... I've decided to log it here in case if, hopefully, this could save somebody (or even myself) from frustration in future. Cheers

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This just saved me about an hours worth of work. thx.

Unknown said...

I ❤ you

Yang Gao said...

Thank you! I found your post Googling the same problem with a Ubuntu Core machine.